Accel enrichment

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Wed Mar 25 19:12:50 GMT 1998

BINGO!!!  I think you said the words that finally made the connection in my
head.

Let's go back to my example.  Steady state 20% throttle is 19 inches of
mercury.  40 % throttle is 16 inches.   Snapping the throttle from 20 to 40 %
results in an increase of manifold pressure to 10 inches.  Add that the mass
flow rate at 20 % is x lbs/min and at 40 % is y lbs/min.  y is greater than
x.

The reason the manifold pressure is less than atmospheric is the throttle
restricts the engine from pulling it's complete displacement through the
throttle.  Less molecules in the manifold means lower pressure.  When the
throttle is snapped open, the engine is temporarily the restriction.  The
throttle is positioned to flow at y lbs/min, but the engine is flowing at x
lbs/min and must catch up.  (That's not exactly true, if the pressure in the
manifold increases, the fow rate will increase some, but not to the y
amount.)  The tens of thousands of feet column of air now pushes more air
past the larger throttle opening, but it has nowhere to go, so the molecules
backup in the manifold, raising the pressure.  More oxygen requires more
fuel.  An enrichment shot is required and engine acceleration would benefit
from a richer mixture, therefore fuel enrichment is required till the engine
catches up with the throttle opening.  Now has the engine catches up to the
throttle opening, the flow rate approaches y lbs/min, absorbing the extra
molecules in the manifold, till the engine settles at the new steady state
rpm andbthe manifold pressure hits 16 inches.

Whether the explanation is understandable or not, I have satisfied myself.
This has been bugging me for days.  True happiness would be if I could
describe that mathematically.

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban