Daydreaming at Cone Shaped Hat Headquarters

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Mar 25 18:01:57 GMT 1998

Ya, know what I'd like, well I'll tell ya.
1.  Easy to program ecm, that's cheap
2.  A reliable ecm, that's cheap
3.  Readily available ecm, that's cheap
4.  Something that would take very little talent to program
5.  SOMETHING ANYONE could use, on most ANYTHING

Lately, I've been helping a few folks come up with some chips.
Trouble is that some are rather fussy about what they like,  it's
almost like the Broadcast code is fighting me.  I take the same
tables and write them over a different BCC, and sometimes it
works and sometimes it doesn't.  This can get real time consuming
and well I got other things that I could be doing..  MIND you I
not complaining that's just how things are.
  What I think would be a great thing is coming up with a game
plan, for everyone....
  As I see it the situation is this,  Mopar guys are left out.  The Ford
guys are about in the same situation.  And anyone can buy a neat system for
$1,500, to $3,200.  My problem is I don't have that kind of money.  But, $50
at a recycling center, and $200 for a burning program, chips+holders, I can.
  I got a set of 332 boards, and that is 10x the work I want to do
before I even hear the motor, burp.
  So if we could come up with a versitile ecm we would have
it made.
  My idea is this.  Starting with the simpliest easy to find ecm.
Make a min code/table chip..
  It would have a couple fuel tables/ spark tables/ IAC/ coolant
temp corrections/ injector sizing/ acceleration enrichments.
Maybe, an open loop design, too.
  This would also be great for those developing their own systems.
Since they would have some idea of what the engine is going to
want.
  The neural pathway challenged such as my self would then have
a chance of getting a chip PERFECT with the song and dance
of having to do 400 chips.
  To me, the perfect plan is this take a 1227747, and a minimum
chip for it.  Why a 747, here's why.  It has a pair of P+H outputs
it's MAP, can be used with 6s or 8s, has a Knock sensor.  With
a little work I think we could interface a ford MAF for those that
have to have that.  It would be a P+P for alot of applications.
It has room for TTC (and some oem appl didn't use that), so it
would work fine with a manual trans.  It's cheap, and easy to find.
It's been well hacked.  There are other advantages to this one,
but for BW I'll refrain.  IF this goes well then we can try the larger
prom'd ones, or do a turbo ecm, and I got a bunch of ideas for
further projects this being the leap off one!.
  The other thing is if/when this Wide Ratio O2 sensor gets off the
ground that would make an excellent feedback device for the
above at WOT.
  I can supply some of the table stuff, and advise about what we
need.  But. I need some good hacking help.
  So I need for those of you who think ya can help, e-mail me.
This is for the list not a commercial venture.  What every the results
will be available for anyone, either thru me or posting somewhere.
  The only requirement would be signing a waiver saying they
have read the complete archives 3 times.  LOL
  Cheers  Bruce  CEO of the Cone Shaped Hat Club for Men,
                             or anything else that enjoys radios with a
                             soft orange glow
          nacelp at bright.net