Snake oil too??

lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov
Fri Mar 27 15:08:09 GMT 1998

     Actually, I have a small home porting operation going on the side (2-3
     sets of heads a month), and use both Dry Film Lubricants (DFL) and
     Thermal Barrier Coatings (TBC) extensively. While I lack the equipment
     to determine if the coatings have any real world effects, my
     experience has been that they work as theorized. By TBC'ing the
     chambers and falve faces, all of the engines I have applied the
     copatings to show -0- detonation (this is reading off a knock sensor
     using regular pump gas). In fact, a few late model LT1 engines I have
     done this for have allowed people to run 11:1 compression with 89-92
     octane and no detonation. Also, seems the engines run 10-20 degrees
     cooler as well. I suppose the TBC is doing something to keep the heat
     in the charge, and not absorb into the engine. The DFL, on the other
     hand, seems to work pretty well to decrease wear. I use it in valve
     guides on the heads, but a lot of places also put it on piston skirts
     (TRW now does this from the factory as an option), bearing shells, and
     there is even a version for the cylinder walls. Considering the high
     pressure these coatings are supposed to be effective at....works for
     me. ONe thing is for sure, the stuff is DEFINATELY bonded to the metal
     substrate...unlike Shit...er....Slick 50 type products.

     As far as the expert recommendations on this, pick up a copy of either
     of David Vizard's books on head porting or engine building...he claims
     20-30% increase in power from fully coating pistons and chambers in a
     race engine. I wonder if there is a different degree of benefit at low
     vs high RPM operation, but the results I have seen speak for
     themselves. It doesn't hurt anything at worse, and shows a decent
     reduction in detonation sensitivity and more power at best. Why not...

     TTYL!

     Larry Kurek