Snake oil too??

Andris Skulte askulte at emerald.tufts.edu
Mon Mar 30 06:11:49 GMT 1998

Bernie Jacobsen wrote:

> Clive,
>
> I've read all the sales brochures, including JET HOT, but I am generally
> pretty cynical about those things.  I don't know anyone who has looked
> inside a coated header after, say, 50,000 miles.   Does the coating even
> exist on the ID after using it for a while?
>
> Is the performance gained by the heat retention noticeable? (practically, in
> the feel of the vehicle, or in mpg)

My SLP stainless steel headers were JetHot coated, and I sold them at
85k. The outside still looked nice, and the inside seemed to still be
coated. FWIW, they didn't heat the engine bay more than the stock iron
manifolds, and I never burned any plug wires. The headers were coated
off the bat, so I don't have a before/after comparison. I'm personally
going to coat the gale banks manifolds as soon as I get them as well.
Are any DIY worth it?

Andris