Mileage with a Motor Home

Eric Elliott eelliott at arkansas.net
Mon Mar 30 20:20:54 GMT 1998

Fuel mileage is not an inverse function of vacuum. The later GMD 4.3L
engines use cam duration to decrease vacuum at low engine speeds for better
economy. Less vacuum = less pumping loss. What other engines use this I
don't know. I think it was Volvo that reportedly came near production with
and engine that cut off fuel to cylinders to reduce power, causing near WOT
operation at all times. Clean burn & less pumping loss were the goals.
Uncomfortable uneven power pulsations were disadvantages. Remember the
Cadillac 4-6-8 engine? Bet it didn't do much vacuum
I run lean (stoich) @ 1000 to 2500 RPM idle to WOT in sustained operation.
Engine doesn't mind, 700R4 doesn't last. Edelbrock 3500 EFI, ZZ3 roller cam,
World products Sportsman heads, manual torque converter clutch switch. 350
HP engine does about 1 MPG less than stock engine, but it doesn't do much
vacuum.

Eric