Mileage with a Motor Home

Eric Elliott eelliott at arkansas.net
Tue Mar 31 01:53:51 GMT 1998

Hello,
My truck makes best MPG @ about 41 MPH @ about 1000 RPM. Peak torque is
about 3400 RPM, it is not stock. Original stock engine did same @ same
speed. 41 MPH  is where the 700R4 will do 4th gear & locked torque converter
clutch. At 41 MPH &16 MPG, the fuel required to idle the engine, 0.6 GPH is
a substantial part of the total. Granted the engine is most efficient @ 3400
RPM given WOT, but we don't measure fuel economy @ WOT. The truck likes the
minimum speed that can get minimum engine turns per foot travel.

All fuel, HP, torque and BSFC curves that I have been able to find specify
operation @ WOT. No curves ever describe part throttle operation. WHY?

Cummins sales sheets show their 5.9 L engines from 160 to 300 HP all get
best BSFC near 1100 RPM. Even a short drive in the ram will show the turbo &
torque happen at 1900. Go figure.