simple question about fuel press. regs.

TWright669 TWright669 at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 06:59:49 GMT 1998

I am trying to build a basic theoretical fuel map but there is one thing I am
not all that confident about:  the effects of the fuel pressure regulator.
There are two types:
1. the constant pressure type, and
2. the manifold pressure referenced type.
I have the manifold reference type.
My question is:
Does the manifold referenced regulator inject the same amount of fuel per
milisec. over the range of manifold pressures?  After all, for every 1 psi
increase in manifold pressure there is 1 psi increase fuel pressure, which
cancels out. Right?
A person who has a constant pressure fuel reg. has to do extra calcs. to
figure in the effect of manifold pressure for the rate at which the injector
injects fuel, where as I dont have to bother.  Right?  Or is it the other way
around?
In other words, with a vacuum referenced regulator, a 24# injector is still a
24# injector at 15 inches vacuum as well as 0 inches vaccum, whereas a
constant pressure regulator is injecting fuel at a lower rate at high manifold
pressures than at low presssures, making the calculations (for injector on-
times) more complex.  Right?
Thanks,
Tom