Motorcycle EFI?

Jerry Wills jwills at ISI.EDU
Tue Mar 31 22:48:12 GMT 1998

Gus> Been lurking too long, apologies for the bandwidth....  As the
Gus> list has picked-up, efi on a performance bike is a far more
Gus> demanding problem than cars.  At present, there are a few
Gus> options, mostly twins.  The Ducati's and new generation Laverda's
Gus> have been efi'd for a while now - but I guess you 4-cylinder boys
Gus> arn't interested in these (anyway, apart from the 916 they rev
Gus> out at around 9k).  The new BMW R11's have always been efi'd,
Gus> using Motronic, but again max rpm is around 9k.  There are a few
Gus> racer boys trying these out, but the successful ones have
Gus> switched back to carbs.  Triumph use efi on the T595/509 triples
Gus> using a Sagem (French) derived product.  Not heard of amnyone
Gus> messing with these (yet).  The Japanese are starting to come out
Gus> with efi, with Suzuki leading the way. Their 130BHP, 11000 rpm
Gus> (and 180kg! Ye-Ha!) Suzuki TL1000S had three chip releases in 18
Gus> months to try to get rid of a part-throttle stumble.  I played
Gus> around with the TL injection system using Fuel Injected
Gus> Motorcycle's Ultimap

I own a GTS 1000, Yamaha based it on the 1000 EXUP engine with different
cams and a CAT after the O2 sensor. It has only one injector/cylinder and
in stock tune makes ~100 hp. some crazy germans have found a way to pump
the FI up to keep up with their desire for power. If you find a totaled
GTS1000, the FI would be cheap, and you could have ABS for free, welllll,
installation/fabrication cost for adapting it to your favorite toy. The
ECM is from a major asian company, and some of the import cage turbo nuts
may be able to tweek it, but thats down the list , for me.

			Jerry Wills
I'll have enough POWER when I can spin the tires at the end of the straight!
89 FJ DERSLYR,93 GTS1000, DoD#500 KotF(Flag)       Mark Donahue, about 917's
USC/Information Sciences Institute  (USC/ISI)  SoCal (310) 822-1511 x 236
90's cowboys, ride iron horses, and punch Deer!!!
You done violated Physics, BOY!    Assume the position..... (Rider 5/92)