Fw: Fw: Holden Commodore, Aerodynamics. AND NOW: WATER INJECTION...

Danny Barrett danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Sat May 2 08:16:11 GMT 1998

G'day there, when I consider the things I've been taught in my physical
chemistry calsses (before college, and during my Engineering degree that I
am currently doing), the water should (I won't say will - I could be wrong)
stay in the liquid phase until after TDC. Look at the formula:

PV=nRT

P=pressure in Pascals
V=volume in m^3
n=amount of a gaseous mixture in moles
R=universal gas constant
T=trmperature in Kelvin.

Also, find a table of the boiling point/Vapor Pressure of water at a given
temperature.

Find your TDC pressure.

Find some value of maximum combustion heat (usually above about 900 deg C,
as NOx gases are produced).

If you know how to use the formula, you'll find that the water should remain
a liquid until well after TDC, even if it started off as a vapor before
compression. Of course, I could be wrong. But I did some calc's about a year
ago, and I found that you need a boiling point of about 40 deg C before a
gaseous substance will stay a gas at TDC. Of course, I will repeat again
that I could be WRONG, so it might still need to be researched.

Danny Barrett.