WATER INJECTION...(was Holden...etc.)

Zack zubenubi at inetport.com
Sun May 3 04:12:08 GMT 1998

Danny,

I think I disagree on the point of whether water injected at the
intake will stay in the liquid phase during compression.  I think the
source of our disagreement would be, as you say, the fact that you're
using the ideal gas law to calculate pressure.  You can only do this
if the compression is isothermal.  In reality, the compression phase
occurs quickly enough that it would be more correct to use an
isentropic model.  In that case, the temperature of the gas is given
by:

T  = T0 * ( V / V0 ) ^ (gamma - 1)

Where gamma for air is about 1.4.  So, if we start with a charge of
80 degree F intake air, and compress it by a factor of 8.5:1, the
temperature of the air at the end of the compression phase will be
more than 800 degree F at the end of the compression stroke.
At 80 degrees, the vapor pressure of water is about 0.003 atm.  My
steam tables only go up to 705 degrees (since that's the critical
point), at which point the vapor pressure is a whopping 218 atm.
	So... I think there's no question that if you inject water in the
intake, all of that water will have turned to steam before the
completion of the compression stroke.  In the process, that
vaporization will absorb a large quantity of heat which would have
otherwise gone to raising the temperature of the air, resulting in a
cooler air charge at TDC.
	If you were to vaporize the water prior to injecting it into the
intake, you would lose the cooling benefits of injecting the water as
a liquid.  In that case, injecting water vapor would be just like
injecting any other inert gas.

Zack