Refrigerants

DemonTSi DemonTSi at aol.com
Sun May 3 20:00:31 GMT 1998

In a message dated 98-05-03 11:53:02 EDT, jlindeke at bsfh.org writes:

<< If it has to do with Intercooling then i'm intrested. I;t would be really
cool to
 have the air going into my intake at freezing tempatures.
 --Jake Lindeke
 --Temple Terrace, FL.

 > Sounds like a refrigerated intercooler to me. What do you call an
 > intercooler if there is no blower attached? A pre-cooler?
 >
 > If you can find a refrigerant that will work down to about -100C or
whatever
 > the temp of 'dry ice' is, then you can make a practical refrigerated
 > intercooler suitable for drag races, or longer races if you have a large
dry
 > ice bin. >>

You should be able to take methanol down to about -100C. But I think you need
a very large sized refrigeration unit to do so. I had once considered using an
intercooler made of a polymer (which kind I'm not sure...but it'd be a foam)
allowing you to use liquid nitrogen as a coolant. So imagine a liquid-to-air
intercooler without the hassle of a coolant circulation system. Just fill up
the intercooler's tank with liquid nitrogen and leave it there for a month or
two before refilling...
As for chilling intake air...I was always afraid of the damage that could
result if the intake piping started developing precipitation and water entered
the engine...or would that be a problem?

Van <---hasn't posted to list in about a year...  :)