High MPG

Danny Barrett danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Mon May 4 16:24:27 GMT 1998

Yes, I agree. In fact, I think that if as much time, effort, and money was
put into the development of a turbine engine (like the Chrysler one) as has
been put into the engines we currently run, the "200 MPG carb" type idea
would be a case of "so what!" In the case of the Chrysler turbine, it had a
very ingeneous heat transfer drvice that recycled otherwise wasted heat from
the exhaust to the intake, thereby making the engine more efficient (this is
a bit more difficult with the IC engine to say the least - basically, it has
to be stored as chemical potential energy within the fuel, and this can only
be done by chemically altering the fuel with an endothermic reaction). The
problem that I can see with the heat exchanger is that it didn't exchange
enough of the exhaust heat. Obviously, if it exchanged more, with a greater
efficiency, the engine would be more efficient - it's basic thermodynamics,
and it's even given a name - "Regenerative cycle" ie. recycle waste heat
energy to raise the efficiency of the engine. And guess what... It's easiest
to do with some sort of turbine. Perhaps someone should revisit the old
Chrisler engine and make the heat exchanger more efficient???

Danny Barrett.