And for our Next Trick ... How 'bout a diyTrionic?

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Mon May 4 20:02:15 GMT 1998

On Mon, 04 May 1998 11:57:58 -0700, "Scott Mo." <scottmo at teleport.com>
wrote:

>Just a quick comment, IMHO $100 a year to get the SAE Automotive
>Engineering magazine and to be able to search the technical paper
>listing archives on line is CHEAP! compared to the time you will spend
>trying to figure out this stuff on your own. Best $100 you will ever
>spend...

Well, I'm not being cheap (no one's EVER accused me of that yet), I just
find the SAE's practice of charging, and sometimes charging a LOT, even
from it's members, a tad penurious. I'm a member of the IEEE in my
trade, and we don't have any such onerous pick-pocketing as yous guys
seem to take fer granted. I mean sheesh, EVEN if you ARE a member of
SAE, it costs you $50/yr to have access to the backward Bibliography via
WebDex?! Come on, this is a great way to send a message you see your
members as a bunch of cash cows. Sorry, just my attitude about
professional societies; it's a society, not a racket. I don't wanna have
to pay for every breath I take. MY trade, EE, doesn't seem to need to
stoop to such nickleNdime tactics. What exactly about the automotive
engineer makes him look like a sucker waiting to be fleeced at every
turn?

Sorry to take such a spin, especially since you were kind enough to post
these references for the project, but this whole idea of secrecy,
charging each other for every tidbit of info, and making everything
smell like some smarmy boy's club just gets my shorts in an uproar real
fast. I'm a firm believer in intellectual property, but treating every
whisper and every thot and every relationship and every published
research paper as a revenue source just sours the whole eXperience for
me. We might as well try to charge each other on this group, fees for
every post we put out that someone else reads. What the hell's the
matter with us as a race lately, to make the "commercial model" the
be-all end-all of human experience. Do we really all wanna be just like
Billy Gates or Jimmy the Pimp, and look upon everybody as a "mark" and
mere source of "revenue"? The SAE is a non-profit organization,
supposedly, but you sure couldn't tell it by watching them sell their
wares. Growl.

Like I said before, if you wanna get a good flavor for this attitude,
just ask yourself "what your own Mother has done for you lately." We
keep this idea up, and we'll obliterate from our societies even the very
concept of comradery, fellowship, and even friendship. A workman is
worthy of his wages, it's true, but don't drag the "hireling" attitude
into your personal and professional relationships, unless you wanna dry
up like some mosquito on a deserted island.

>Here are some SAE Technical papers that came up during a quick search on
>SAAB

Thanks. Very generous of you. I do appreciate it. ION thanks you, too.
B)

Gargrumpy