jim's Poncho EFI

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon May 4 21:41:04 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory A. Parmer <gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Monday, May 04, 1998 5:08 PM
Subject: re: jim's Poncho EFI

>On Mon, 4 May 1998, Jim Velasquez wrote:
>> just starting this project, so I might even set up the system 'on the
>> bench' ala the 101 stuff  happening elsewhere on the list...
>
>'Tis possible.  I managed to get enough parts together for
>a trial run yesterday.  I'm pretty sure the gas serves
>as a builtin heatsink for the injectors and therefore your
>tests should be short lived (or with a non-volatile liquid
>in the place of gasoline).

I'm just gonna run some large resistors instead of the actual
injectors, like 20 ohm, 10 watt.  Should be able to do dwell
meter or scope off of that.  While the P+H drivers would be
"confused" by not seeing a big load, I don't think this will
interfer with the actual signal processing....

>As for my cobbled together project...I'm starting with a
>CFI (dual TBIs) manifold driven by our project '747. I
>haven't managed to get "closed loop" mode out of it yet,
>but the injectors are a buzzin'--all on the bench.
>
>I'm gonna send my GM truck EPROM image as soon as my
>programmer comes in (sorry fellas -- it didn't make it
>last week due to the infamous computer glitch). I talked
>to 'em a bit ago and it should be here in 2-3 days.
>
>Question:
>If anyone's still readin' here....will the new style HEI
>distributor module fire an old point-type coil?

Yes, but the "Electronic Ignition" coils have a lower
resistance, hence less spark energy.

 What would I be losing to do that?  I hate to see that bright
>yellow SuperCoil replaced by the dingy black OEM one. :)
>
>-greg

Cheers
Bruce