And for our Next Trick ... How 'bout a diyTrionic?

Scott Mo. scottmo at teleport.com
Mon May 4 22:00:01 GMT 1998

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com responded:
> Well, I'm not being cheap (no one's EVER accused me of that yet), I
 just find the SAE's practice of charging, and sometimes charging a LOT,
evenfrom it's members, a tad penurious.<Big Snip>
> Gargrumpy

This may surpise you, but Yes, I could not agree more, SAE certainly
does nickel and dime you every time you want something. When you look at
the costs for some of their publications or to attend their conferences,
there are a lot of nickels and dimes being expended....I must say that I
really enjoyed your response and have not read something that has been
stated that well in a long time..thanks

There are ways to get the SAE information without paying much. BUT, it
does take a little work on your part. As I mentioned, most Libraries
have the SAE articles on microfiche and you can make copies of them at
the Library. Note: SAE may want you to send them some money $7 when you
do this copying :-(

There is also a SAE index so called the "SAE Handbook" you can use to
look up all the previous SAE technical articles by Author, number,
Subject etc , the library should also have the latest version of this.

I guess I look at the $50 charge/year to search their archives as a
"service" fee that I must pay to cover the costs to make all this
information available on the internet. When I compare it to the time I
had to spend previously searching for information, I find it  a very
reasonable price to pay.

When I look at the time I have put in to developing a web site, I now
know that it costs money and time. Is it ok or "right" for SAE to charge
me for this? I don't really care, I want the info and I am more than
willing to pay for it, thousands of engineers and thousands of companies
pad big bucks to develop these ideas and systems, and I am amazed that I
even get to look at any of it.

Sometimes there ain't no free lunch...

Cheers
Scott Mo.