MPG

Richard W. Cowan gt1040a at prism.gatech.edu
Tue May 5 04:47:11 GMT 1998

Well this may be an emotional subject for some, but I was not, ahem,
"raving."  To rebut the last post, the EV1 can go 70-90 miles on one charge
of its batteries.  This charge is the equivalent of about 1 gallon of
gasoline.  As I said, once the conversion to all nuclear power plants is
made, this "true efficiency" will be realized.  I expect that once the
batteries are perfected (ie they don't way 1000 pounds!), we will see
electric autos that are just as fun to drive and just as powerful as todays
cars.  We (the people) won't have it any other way!

As far as mass transit goes...that's the only thing that scares me!  I love
cars.  I fully expect future electrics to be just as bad-ass and fun as the
Z28 I plan to buy in the not-too-distant future.  What I fear is that one
day we will rely so much upon mass transit that car production/consumption
will plummet and cause car prices to rise to the point that private
automobiles will be the exclusive privilege of the rich, large companies,
and governments.  Just think one day everyone rode around on horses, now it
is the hobby of the rich.

Richard
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~vaps1rc