electric cars - costs

Dave Balfour balfour at bushnell.net
Tue May 5 06:44:46 GMT 1998

well if it takes 28 hp to accellerate and run down the road that
means that it takes 20 kw of power say you drive for an hour each day
that is 20kw hours. assuming 40% effiency that means that it takes 50
kwh of energy from the grid. that is about 7dollars around here. now
once you figure in the tax that needs to be imposed to offset the tax
loss for not having the gas tax to pay for roads etc. that would add
another dollar. so it is 8 dollars. If there are a lot of people
using electricity the price will go up so add another buck and we are
up to 9 dollars That doesnt compare well to the 2 or 3 gallons of
gas. Add in the price of new batteries every 2-3 years ouch. At some
point when gas becomes 3-4 dollars per gallon then it begins to make
sense but not until.
dave balfour