In car oil refinery, run by EFI.

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Tue May 5 09:10:42 GMT 1998

Danny Barrett wrote:

> I intend to build an in car "oil refinery." This may sound like a heap of BS
> to many, but others have researched the possibility, and found it might be
> viable IF it can be controled somehow.
>
> The basic principal behind it is to catalytically crack the fuel molecules,
> in the presence of hydrogen, and form methane. This reaction is an
> ENDOthermic reaction - ie. it requires energy (in the form of heat) to be
> put IN, and thereby, the products of the reaction are at a higher energy
> state than the fuel that was put in. Thus, otherwise wasted heat energy is
> stored CHEMICALLY, to be used within the engine. Because of this "recycling"
> effect, less fuel should be required for the same power output, and hence,
> greater efficiency.
>

> Any comments/ideas???
>
> Danny Barrett.

Realizing that it's the phase changes of the refrigerant
which "move" energy, I got to wondering today how much heat
could be transferred by mercury?  What's the boiling point
of this metal?  And would thermal conductivity be an
approprate term to use here?

Shannen

Volunteer for community service!  Use your CSH to collect
donations for the poor.