In car oil refinery, run by EFI.

Danny Barrett danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Tue May 5 09:42:07 GMT 1998

I assume you mean to crack the CO2 (etc.) at home and put it in the car -
may be possible, but storage within the car could be a problem.

If you mean to crack the CO2 in the car, then, since you're starting with
CO2 as your "fuel" (lowest energy level possible for carbon in the
combustion process), and you're ending up with CO2, there is no net energy
input (unless you are burning N2 - naughty, naughty), then there is no
energy left to run the vehicle. In actual fact, when you include losses (and
there will be), then all that is going to happen is your car will sit there
and do nothing... HEY! GREAT IDEA!!! Don't use the car, and you save a
packet on fuel bills!!!

As for petroleum, it is at a relatively high energy level, so there is
something there to work from...

In my device, I know that there is going to be a slight loss of energy
because I have to crack water, and then in the engine, make it again - ie.
no net gain, only losses because of inefficiencies. HOWEVER, cracking the
water makes it possible to leave the hydrocarbons in a stable form, once
cracked, and THIS is where the efficiency gains are to be seen. With this,
it is like losing 3 units (through inefficiencies in the cracking process),
and gaining 10 units because you've given up the 3 - ie a net gain of 7
units. Of course, these are arbitrary numbers, but you can see what I mean.

As for the viability of in caar cracking of NH4, instead of hydrocarbons,
I'll have to look up the energy levels of NH4, H2 and N2O, respectively to
see if it is viable. What can we get NH4 from? However, the problem with
this stuff is that the polution levels are too high. The car would be
pumping out practically pure photochemical smog. This might be OK on the
race track, but not in everyday driving, where I intend to use my device.

Alcohols are possible, but the bigger ones would be preferable (ie.
propanol, octanol, etc), as the smaller ones would not give that much of an
increase in energy when cracked.