High MPG

Richard W. Cowan gt1040a at prism.gatech.edu
Tue May 5 22:39:06 GMT 1998

>but the battery packs cost a lot of energy to make
>and the expense of replaceing them every 50k miles of so could be very
>prohibitive

This is assuming the only alternative is current technology.  I think we
can agree that the EV1 with its monster 1000# battery back and only 70-90
miles per charge is a nice start, but it is not the answer.  If you want to
take into account the energy/cost to make the battery packs and the
electric motor to raise the cost of operation of an electric, you have to
compare that with the energy/cost to manufacture an ICE:  Engine block,
heads, valves, springs, rockers, pushrods, pistons, rods, cam (maybe
solenoids in the future) exhaust system, larger coolant system, a starter,
ignition system, larger water pump, fuel system, fuel pump, etc etc.  With
electrics you have:  Big Induction motor which has far fewer parts, no
exhaust system, no fuel system & compenents, no oil system, no ignition
system, smaller coolant system.  If electrics were being produced at the
same levels as ICEs the cost would probably be far less.  There are far
fewer value-added manufacturing steps involved here and design tolerances
are not as critical.  Crate Electric motors will probably be way cheaper
than ICEs also(for your future aftermarket swapping enjoyment :) )

The reason it probably won't for a while is that an acceptable battery (at
least 200mi per charge, light weight, low volume, shorter charge time, etc)
has not been invented yet.  However, as someone said, don't bet against
technology.

Of course suspension, brakes, chassis/frame, bodywork, interiors, etc are
still the same and don't factor into the comparison.

Richard
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~vaps1rc