High MPG

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Tue May 5 22:42:40 GMT 1998

steve ravet wrote:

> Gary Derian wrote:
>
> > Electric is not very efficient if you consider the total scheme.  The
> > electric generators are no more efficient than the good old ICE (40%).  Then
> > you add the power loss in transmission, converting to chemical energy for
> > the battery, then reconverting to electric, then finally getting mechanical
> > energy from the motor.  Add this up and the electric car is only 5%
> > efficient.  A GM EV1 with a gasoline engine would get 80+ mpg.
>
> Electric cars have transmission loss, but so do gas cars.  You have to
> burn diesel fuel to ship all that fuel around.
>
> Here's my question:  The GM EV web page (www.gmev.com) claims a full
> charge in 3 hours using a 220V (6.6kW) charger.  That's 19.8 kilowatt
> hours of energy.  They claim a maximum capacity of 16.2 KWh for the
> battery pack, so 19.8 includes charger inefficiencies.  If electricity
> costs 10 cents per KWh, it costs just under $2 to charge the EV-1.  They
> claim the range to be 50-90 miles, which puts the cost per mile between
> 2 and 4 cents.  Just the gas for a gas car costs more than that, plus
> all the maintenance like tuneups, fluid changes, etc.  The electric car
> is simplicity by comparison.
>
> --steve
>

> > Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>
>
> --
> Steve Ravet
> International Meta Systems
> http://www.imes.com
> steve at imes.com
You simplify it too much, and in so doing you overstate the cost per
mile. That charger tapers the charge, I believe, so it does not charge
full tilt all three hours. The actual power consumption is relatively
less.
I had a converted 75 Fiat coupe in the late 70s, running lead acid
batteries, a converted aicraft generator for a motor, and voltage
switching (24/48 volt) with startup resistors. Nothing fancy or high
tech. At the time it took about $.28 to charge the batteries - good for
50 miles at 30mph, or 30 at 50.
--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!