High MPG

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Wed May 6 01:33:51 GMT 1998

Funny you should mention that.  I just went to the open-house for
Lawrence Technological University (LTU) and they were displaying advanced
hybrid vehicle.  They were displaying the first one, which was powered by
a small (Geo, I think) engine and an electric motor.  Their second
version uses a Volkswagon Diesel engine.  It has better range than most
automobiles (700+ miles, if I'm not mistaken), the ability to run from
either source or a combination of both, and a computer controlled
transmission (manual shifted by a computer).

For short trips, you don't even need to start the engine.  In the city,
you can run off the electric motor and start the engine when the
batteries start to get low.  If you have the engine running, you have the
power of both the engine and the electric motor at your disposal.  I
forgot what the 0-60 time is, but it isn't too shabby.

Oops... I almost forgot.  It has regenerative braking.

Now, if they want to get fancy, they can use the waste heat from the
exhaust to run a stirling or steam engine that is turning a generater.

Ray Drouillard, BSEE (from LTU)