High MPG electic raving

Christopher G. Moog cgmoog at ibm.net
Wed May 6 03:16:44 GMT 1998

Several people wanted to know the source of my info so here is a short summary

The DOE web page

http://ev2.inel.gov/sop/eva/

gives overall efficiency of several electric vehicles be sure to use charger numbers
(248 for EV1 and 412 for RAV4EV) since these include battery losses (DOE is unclear
on the cycle driven for this number)

Electric plant efficiency is measured as Heat Rate.  When I interned at Con Edison
the plants ran from 9,000 to 13,000 btu/kW-hr.  Newer combined cycle plants are
probably better (maybe 8,000 btus/kW-hr).

Gasoline heat content runs from about 106,000 to 116,000 btus per gallon (oxygenated
fuel at the low end).

Also my comments on mass transit.  In areas where it is available and reasonable it
should be used.  It will not work in many areas of the country and it will never
replace other forms of personnel travel.

My point was, ICEs are more efficient than people realize and that electrics are a
false path.  The money spent on electric research would be better spent elsewhere
(diesels, mass transit, telecommuting, etc.)