Digital Multimeter suggestion wanted

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Wed May 6 03:24:09 GMT 1998

On Tue, 05 May 1998 21:59:06 -0400, Clare Snyder <snyder at huron.net>
wrote:

>Steven Gorkowski wrote:
>>
>> If you buy radio shack meter buy the extended warranty I bought the data
>> logging one that hooks to the pc and it rides in a race car.
>> meter $99.00
>> 3 yr. $9.99

>Forget the extended warranty - if it is going to fail it will likely
>fail within warranty. Use the money you save on this warranty, double
>it, and buy another meter. The warranties are a rip-off.

Actually Clare, this might be one eXtreme eXception to me feeling just
like you do, cuz REMEMBER, on the multimeters, if you forget and leave
the leads in the CURRENT measuring plugins, you run a decent risk of
fryin the thang, EVEN if it does have good fast fuses. BTDT. It's true
it shouldn't happen, but on the lesser well designed ones at this price
point, it's a REAL issue.

Funny story: I was in a Grainger office one day, waiting for my order to
get picked, and a bunch of us waitin at the counter were watching this
Fluke "bake-off contest" movie running on the demo TV. They showed how
lots of the lesser brands don't always pass the smoke test on OV
ratings, and how many of them will smoke (even tho fused) if you screw
up and forget to put the leads back in the right place after measuring
current. As the guy on the TV goes and demos this "boo-boo", all of us
standing there looked at each other, grinned, and then swore to each
other that we'd "NEVER done that". Hee. Worth a good hoot, it was.

Gar