Fuel Injection Design

Charles Taylor-iii chtaylor at eng.usf.edu
Wed May 6 04:48:31 GMT 1998

Clive,

I do have a dyno result for the bike, and the results are at the rear
wheel so it would account for losses.  The run I have is not the greatest
run it was taking when I was working out the bugs in the bike, will redo
here shortly.  Max torque occurred at 6800 RPM with 55.2 ft-lbs, bike
redlines at 10500.  You say that VE(I assume this is volumetric
efficiency) should be around 110% to 120%, book I have says around 75% for
a stock motorcycle engine  in good condition.  I am using a stock engine
and assuming good condition.  I am not completely sure if I understand how
you say to get the air consumption curve.
You say:
"multiply the RPM x air comsumed at RPM x VE at RPM x frictional loss
correction to get an air comsuption curve"
Since I have the torque curve then I should multiply
(RPM)(Volume one cylinder)(VE)  Where VE would be the torque at that RPM
				but in percent form??

So at the 6800 RPM from my dyno run I would have this for 908cc engine:
(6800)(227cc)(.552)=852067cc/min

And then for each point along the torque curve do the same thing??  And
this will give me an air consumption curve.
Am I on the right track?

Or do I use the torque curve and say that the max of the curve is what I
say the Max VE is and then slice it into parts and compare it against the
RPM.  This way the air consumtion at 6800 RPM would be(assuming VEmax=75):
(6800)(227cc)(.75)=1157700cc/min
Then at each RPM spot I would chose what the VE would be according to the
VEmax being 75.
Appreciate the help.  Don't spam me too hard I am trying to learn this
stuff but have yet to find the books that explain a lot of what I need.
Thanks

Chuck Taylor
chtaylor at eng.usf.edu
*******************************'84 Kawasaki 900 Ninja
* University of South Florida *   7.21 @ 96.37  1/8th mile
* Mechanical Engineering Dept *  11.37 @ 117.27 1/4 mile
*  (8 months and counting)    *'80 Kawasaki Z1-R 1000