Boingers

M&D 91coupe at bellsouth.net
Wed May 6 15:04:39 GMT 1998

You can block off the oil injection and premix, use a small efi pump and
2-cycle oil to feed a relocated oil metering pump, whatever. Racing rotaries
go to extremes and therefore their engineering solutions can be extreme too.
This really screws up the emissions on a street car, and can clog your cat
converter. The stock cats are very prone to clogging anyway, and
restrictive. That's why you can see almost 40% power increase just from
upgrading the exhaust. BTW, I have a combined total of 400,000 miles on 3
rotary engines and have never had carbon fouling problems, at least that I
could see with a borescope.

To the person claiming no significant performance or mileage benefit from a
rotary: (with aftermarket exhaust) 225 HP at the flywheel, naturally
aspirated, in 1.3 liters of displacement in a 2500 lb. car. 18-25 mpg
depending on driving style. The mpg is similar to a V8, as is the power, but
a 13B engine can be easily lifted by 2 men (about 300 lbs., with all the
accessories still attached).  That alone is a significant advantage over a
V8. With attached turbo, rotaries are reliably running up to 400 hp on the
street. Mileage remains similar. Can you say that for a 400HP piston engine?

Mind you all, I have nothing against piston engines, it's just that they are
WAY antiquated and it's time we come up with something else. I personally
favor a small turbine running a generator, and thence electric motors. Like
the APU from an airplane, but smaller. Piston engines have so much friction
and reciprocating loss it's just unbelievable.

Michael Harrington
91coupe at bellsouth.net and http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/4038
91 RX-7 Coupe "Pearl" w/ some mods
88 RX-7 T2 "Beast" sitting in carport :(
N3WJE Technician+ Ham