Holdens a little info

Steve Lamb lambs at HOTBLK.dsto.defence.gov.au
Mon May 11 02:39:23 GMT 1998

>Actually, the normally aspirated 3L is the RB-30E, and the Turbo is the
>RB-30ET. RB-30E has comp. ratio of 9:1, and the RB-30ET has comp. ratio of
>7.5:1, so obviously, they have different heads. Even still, both have
>problems with cracking heads, so you have to be careful not to everheat

The head cracking problem is very common in VL Commodes, but is a direct
consequence of the cooling system design (low radiator header tank relative
to the head), which was in turn dictated by the bonnet/front-end design.
R31 Skylines - which use an identical drive train, but a more "practical"
radiator design - did not suffer anywhere near the same amount of cracking
problems (but did suffer some problems mainly on poorly maintained
vehicles).

BTW, maybe you should blame Australians for the head cracking problem......
:-).    After all these heads were/are cast right here in Oz:  at Nissan's
casting plant just outside of Dandenong, Vic.

>them. Even still, I've heard of a RB-30ET getting 470 HP, and another (with
>a little bit of nitrous) getting 670 HP. Not bad from a 3L engine...

....yes, and just think what we could have had in a Commodore if Nissan had
kept the engine contract with GMH.......an optional RB26DETT (GTR engine)
powered Commode........Hmmmm.......even might have considered buying one
myself.

Steve Lamb
Department of Defence, DSTO
Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory
506 Lorimer Street
Fishermans Bend  VIC 3207 Australia

Tel: +61 3 9626 7525
Fax: +61 3 9626 7089