Wet Brakes

Joseph Norman jsnorman at tdo.infi.net
Mon May 11 23:07:15 GMT 1998

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> Honestly, I don't think squirting water onto the brake rotors is the ideal
> solution.  Someone mentioned this before... most tracks would bark loudly
> (if they even allow you to run) if you drop fluids on the track.  Its a
> nice way to make a big pile-up.
>
> Also keep in mind, spraying glowing red-hot rotors with water is a good way
> to fracture them.

Hi, I'm normally a lurker here (I'm a mechanical engineer-just trying to
pick up some info on electronics, etc.), but I have to comment on water
cooling the brakes.  Last year I worked as a mechanic for Tom Gloy
Racing on Dorsey Schroeder's SCCA Trans-Am Mustang.  We used water
brakes at all of the heavy braking tracks.  There was an aluminum tank
mounted at the rear (about 4 gallon capacity) with a small pump attached
to it.  tubes carried the water to four nozzles, two in each of the
hoses for the front brake ducts- they were about 24" before the rotor.
There was a switch on the dash which we would remind the driver to turn
on on the pace lap.  They would stay on the entire race, except for
during full course yellows.  The 4 gallons would last the entire hour or
so of the race - it was a pretty fine mist.  I wouldn't dump a lot of
water on the brakes after they have gotten really hot  - you could get
thermal shock and break the rotors - but a steady mist sure worked for
us.

Later,
Joe Norman