Spark plugs/injectors

Danny Barrett danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Thu May 14 05:05:07 GMT 1998

>The origional Honda Civic CVCC (in the '70s) used a stratified charge
>engine It used a two barrel carburater that was set lean in one barrel
>and rich in the other.  The rich mixture was introduced near the spark
>plug.

I've just heard about them after writing this message. Did they ever get to
Australia, as I had never heard of them until the first or second reply to
my email.

>I had often thought of doing something like that.  A diesel uses direct
>injection, of course.
>
>How about this?  (I was thinking of patenting it but what the heck...)
>
>Instead of a spark, heat the fuel without air to a temperature suitable
>for combustion.  This, of course, will raise the pressure of the fuel.
>At the appropriate time, upen a valve and allow the hot fuel to squirt
>into the hot compressed air in the cylinder.  You can use just about
>anything you want (as long as it's flammable and liquid or gas) as a
>fuel.  You won't need a throttle plate, so there won't be any pumping
>losses.
>
>The trick is to make this "hot injecter" (I would line it with ceramic on
>the inside) and put it into the sparkplug hole.  To start with, you could
>use the regular distributer to control the timing.  Once you get it
>running farily well, try varying the timing to see what you get.

I'll assume that you would make all the attempts that you can to de-airate
the fuel before it is heated, otherwise, you coould get a bit of smouldering
going on before you inject it. The idea as a whole sounds like it might be
worth trying. I assume you would get the heat necessary from the exhaust
(after all, it's already there). For start-up, an electric heater might
work, or perhaps, a glow plug within the cylinder??? I wish you the best of
luck if you try it. I can't see anything wrong with the concept. Also, with
this type of thing, you could completely eliminate knock, simply by
injecting the fuel later - I happen to think this could possibly be one of
the best parts of it - especially for turbo/super charged engines. Anyway,
best of luck...

Danny Barrett.