Spark plugs/injectors

Joachim M. Wagner 1028-156 at online.de
Thu May 14 09:55:44 GMT 1998

Hi, Danny
Great idea,
what came to my mind is the http://www.splitcycle.com page there is
introduced a special injection nozzle, which works MUCH BETTER with air,
improves idel, cold start and verything through an improved mixture
procedure while injecting. The fuel drops are about 100 times smaller than
with a standard injectors. Has anybody tried yet? I think it's important to
improve mixture and comustion process before tuning at the efi! Quality
come before quantity!
Joachim

----------
> Von: Danny Barrett <danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au>
> An: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Betreff: Re: Spark plugs/injectors
> Datum: Donnerstag, 14. Mai 1998 08:04
>

> >The origional Honda Civic CVCC (in the '70s) used a stratified charge
> >engine It used a two barrel carburater that was set lean in one barrel
> >and rich in the other.  The rich mixture was introduced near the spark
> >plug.
>
> I've just heard about them after writing this message. Did they ever get
> Australia, as I had never heard of them until the first or second reply
> my email.
>
> >I had often thought of doing something like that.  A diesel uses direct
> >injection, of course.
> >
> >How about this?  (I was thinking of patenting it but what the heck...)
> >
> >Instead of a spark, heat the fuel without air to a temperature suitable
> >for combustion.  This, of course, will raise the pressure of the fuel.
> >At the appropriate time, upen a valve and allow the hot fuel to squirt
> >into the hot compressed air in the cylinder.  You can use just about
> >anything you want (as long as it's flammable and liquid or gas) as a
> >fuel.  You won't need a throttle plate, so there won't be any pumping
> >losses.
> >
> >The trick is to make this "hot injecter" (I would line it with ceramic
on
> >the inside) and put it into the sparkplug hole.  To start with, you
could
> >use the regular distributer to control the timing.  Once you get it
> >running farily well, try varying the timing to see what you get.
>
> I'll assume that you would make all the attempts that you can to
de-airate
> the fuel before it is heated, otherwise, you coould get a bit of
smouldering
> going on before you inject it. The idea as a whole sounds like it might
be
> worth trying. I assume you would get the heat necessary from the exhaust
> (after all, it's already there). For start-up, an electric heater might
> work, or perhaps, a glow plug within the cylinder??? I wish you the best
of
> luck if you try it. I can't see anything wrong with the concept. Also,
with
> this type of thing, you could completely eliminate knock, simply by
> injecting the fuel later - I happen to think this could possibly be one
of
> the best parts of it - especially for turbo/super charged engines.
Anyway,