Throttle Response Problems ..solved (sort of)

ABTSZ ABTSZ at aol.com
Fri May 15 22:42:48 GMT 1998

Well,
I tried out everybody's suggestions and the throttle response improved
slightly, but then I found what I think was the problem... Rust!  Damn Brits!
Why can't they make a car that is not a sive and a rust bucket?  I have NEVER
owned a British car that didn't leak somewhere!  Especially since it's always
raining over there (from what I've heard.) :)
One of the battery hold-down rods had rusted completely off!  The battery had
shifted over a fraction of an inch and the metal case was shorting out against
the battery post that sticks out from the fire-wall whenever the car lurched
forward.  I didn't figure this out until it got bad enough that I could smell
that "burning electrical wire" type of smell and traced it down!
This also explains all the rain-water in my passenger footwell!
Now my throttle response is acceptable, though still not great.  It still
stumbles slightly from a standstill if provoked, but is other wise drivable.
Anyway, it just goes to show, it's always too easy to blame the EFI for any
problems.  What they say about checking everything else first (before the EFI)
is correct!
Thanks for all the help,
Adam