Wide Range 02

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Sat May 16 02:35:53 GMT 1998

On Fri, 15 May 1998 21:39:57 -0400, David Piper <dapiper at one.net> wrote:

>I have been busy setting up new DynoJet business in Greenville, SC and have
>lost touch with the group.  What is the progress on the wwO2?  Will it
>require a special sensor?

Yup, it's pretty much a done deal, what we'll be using as far as a
sensor. We're waiting on some bits and then are going to be testing it
along side a known good NTK box. But yes, to answer you question, we
ended up choosing the Honda OEM version of the 5-wire ion-pump type
sensor, so if that's what you mean by a special sensor, then yes, it
will require one of those.

>My custom data acq system from Comp Data Sys,
>which integrates with the DynoJet SW uses a Ford/NTK P/N F5WF-9F472-BA 6E29
>4-wire lambda sensor.  Will this work with wide range electronics?  The CDS
>needs 1-5 VDC as input.

No, the sensor won't work with the electronics we're calling EGOR. But
EGOR's output will be 0-5V. If you are truely gonna lose the 0-1V range
of your datalogger for some reason, then your measurement will lose that
part of EGOR's AFR range, in this case the "highest rich" end of the
scale.

>If your package is not ready for prime time, perhaps you cud recommend
>best/cheapest alternate; maybe the NTK from OZ?  Please provide source, cost
>and model.

It's not quite, the testing is still several weeks out from completion,
and we're not rushing it; also, EGOR has now added one more stop to his
whirlwind tour. Another list member has offered to do a side-by-side
comparison of him and their ECM O2 meter, so after going toe-to-toe with
the NTK, it will face off with the ECM (assuming it looks good in
comparison to the NTK).

As far as alternatives, I really couldn't say, since ANY other
alternative of similar accuracy (assuming EGOR passes his finals) is WAY
outside my budget, to the point I haven't even looked, beyond hearing
the prices. I think the NTK, Horiba, and ECM are from several to many
thousands of buckerooskis. Sorry I don't know more than that; perhaps
others have more detailed info for you.

Garfield