Solved ignition noise problem...thanks all!

Sandy sganz at wgn.net
Sun May 17 00:48:30 GMT 1998

Good idea, but here is the problem, it's 2, yes, 2 thing in one. ;-)

The diode does protect against reverse voltage, but it also keeps the
charge on the input filter caps if the voltage dips below what are in the
caps. Think of this, you turn on the key, the caps are sitting at 12V, you
crank the engine, your voltage drops due to the starter motors large draw.
Now the input filter which is at a higher potential then the battery now
can't discharge through the diode to help power your starter, it gets
applied to the input of the regulator. In pratice, I'm not sure how much it
will help, but in theory it is a good idea! Also make sure that on the
input you use a bi-directional TVS as who the hell knows what kind and
which polarity the spikes can be. Either way will work, but this costs only
about a volt in drop, and is not destructive if the battery is reversed.

Sandy