Gads Spark attack-decay

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed May 20 04:07:50 GMT 1998

On some ecms they have a spark attack, and decay rate.  Meaning
the longer there is spark knock the more timing retard is applied,
right?.  Also after some period of time that retard decays, and full
timing is restored.
  So now if I had a perfect way of detecting knock, then I could instantly
apply full, retard, and very very quickly let it erode right?.
  Also on some engines there are some cylinders that are much more
prone to detonation then others, so since no system is perfect, and
simplicity is the key to design, would it make sense just to monitor
those cylinders.   For lab use, and engineering stuff ya monitor all
of them as close as possible, but for real world use what ya all think?.
  Is trace ping still acceptable in the new car world?.
Thanks
Bruce