Funky Conversion Questions

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Wed May 20 18:56:09 GMT 1998

Dupree, Robert A. wrote:

> New list member here.  I will warn you guys right now I'm going to be coming
> at you with a bunch of questions, but I will look through the archive first.
>
> Engine:  '95 Camaro LT-1
> Car:  Audi 5000CS Quattro
>
> Current Status:  Engine is bolted to the tranny adapter, getting ready to do
> the wiring...
>
> Question 1:  Is it worth going through the hassle of converting the stock
> engine short harness for use in this conversion or should I just go to
> someone like Painless?  They make a kit 60501 which fits the engine and
> serves its functions only.

There's not much modification required, I think.  My experience was
putting a TBI 350 into an S-10, which is still a GM-GM swap, and
probably simpler from a wiring point of view than yours.  Most of the
wires in the engine harness go straight to the ECM and don't require any
changes.  The rest go thru a bulkhead connector and have things like A/C
control, wiper control, dash gauge sensors, etc.  Those you can modify
as needed or leave out altogether.  The thing about the factory harness
is it is completely documented in the service manual, even things like
where splices and grounds are located.  Probably won't get that with a
3rd party harness.  If you do have to modify the Painless, it may be
more difficult.  I'd stick with the factory.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
International Meta Systems