Reformer Fuel System

Van Mankamyer vmankamyer at hydrogenburner.com
Wed May 20 20:14:21 GMT 1998

I am new to DIY_EFI and new to fuel system development.  I am working to
develop a fuel supply system for a "reformer" that will take gasoline and
break it down to hydrogen.  One of the final applications for this
technology when developed would be to supply hydrogen to an automotive fuel
cell.

I would like to use existing automotive components and technology to supply
fuel to our reformer, but have been able to get only limited cooperation
from OEM sources for technical data and recommendations.

The main difference between our application and a "normal" engine is the
fact we will be injecting fuel into a pressurized chamber at a high
temperature (600 to 800 F).

Does anyone have experience operating regular injectors at temperatures in
this range?

I have chosen a Bosch injector from a table on the Internet P/N 0 280 150
208 with a flow of 99.6 grams/min to test (even though I would really like a
75 grams/min flow).  I think to avoid an elaborate cooling system I might be
better off using other technology.
Does anyone know of  "direct injection" injectors or "solenoid activated
diesel" injectors on the market that may be able to handle these
temperatures?  I have heard about a company called SAGEM but have been
unable to locate or contact them.

The injector spray pattern is not very important; it could even be more of a
fuel squirter for our application…  Does anyone have any recommendations on
any compact solenoid valves that can handle fuel?

I am also looking for a high pressure (100+ psi) fuel pump, a pressure
regulator that does not require a vacuum, and names of resource books,
catalogs, contacts, etc.

Any recommendations, comments or advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
in advance for your help.

Van