GM Speedo Speed Sensor

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Thu May 21 16:53:35 GMT 1998

Mike Hoenes wrote:

> My 85 S-10 has cruise control with a speedometer speed sensor (not the old
> cable transducer type).  85 was the last year before ECM's.
> What I'm told is that 730 ECM's require 4 pulses per rev. Can a 730 ECM use
> the cruise speed sensor for VSS input?

if your '85 is the same as my '86, it has a cable from the trans to the
speedo, and a VSS transducer in the dash for the computer.  AFAIK that's
compatible with the trans mounted sensor, because that's what I used for
VSS when I put the TBI 350 into my S-10.

Unfortunately I don't know what ECM came with the motor, I neglected to
look at it before I put it in the dash.  Maybe someone here knows?  The
motor is a TBI 350 from a '91 Caprice police car.  Any guess what ECM
runs it?

--
Steve Ravet
International Meta Systems