Pre/post ignition

Danny Barrett danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Fri May 22 00:47:07 GMT 1998

As I understand, the most volitile constituents of the fuel are the smaller
molecules, such as methane which has an octane number of about 116. To me,
this would indicate that the volitiles are the least likely to pre-ignite.
The problem which I can see is that pre-ignition causes excess turbulence in
the gases in the cylinder, and this (along with the fact that peak cylinder
pressure occurs too early) decreases both the power, and the efficiency (or
so my Thermodynamics textbook says).

Danny Barrett.