CDI - Oz Kits

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Fri May 22 00:41:20 GMT 1998

On Fri, 22 May 1998 09:50:18 +1000, Wayne Blair <wayneb at foxboro.com.au>
wrote:

>I've got on of the Dick Smith  CDI on the bench still in the shrink wrap
>(forr over 6 months).The case unfortunately is about the size of 2 House
>bricks as it is a simple single side board construction.

Ahhh, horse puckie. Well, it pro'ly wouldna be hard to move to some 0.1"
double gnd plane perfboard (like TWIN makes, for example) and do up
manually then. Sheesh, single-sided for a circuit that has both HV and
fast transients! Phooeey. Well, it's pro'ly still worth the money, just
for the schematic and all the parts gotten for ya. But you really want
ground planes and tight construction to keep noise and lead inductance
down with some of the waveforms we're dealing with here.

>It is a complete redesign of a kit from many years ago. It was designed to
>attempt to address all the early CDI 4stroke problems - crossfiring, short
>duration etc. It can be used with the progammable ingition module -which
>has a simple rpm to advance curve (2 maps I think can be stored and
>switched between ideal for gas/petrol cars) and the is a vucum switch input
>that provide some form of load sensing advance.

I've seen/heard of all these pieces from previous posts, but I didn't
realize they could all be used together. Is that correct? Nice if so.
Base CDI module, and two additional ones to mimic both vacuum and
centrifugal advance, is basically what you've described above. Is it so
they are actually planned to be mated together?

These might be nice for quick throw-together lab rats. Do say more, WB.

>The Dicksmith Catalogue is available in the June 1998 issue of Electoronic
>Australia. Jaycar sell the same kits but as far as i know have no web
>presence.

You aussies have all the fun. All we have in the states is Radio Shuck;
sheesh, thas like comparing a Barbie doll to the real thang. And we
don't have anything like your "project" magazines, except for that
pitiful NutsNVolts thing, if you can mention that at all in the same
breath (I wouldn't, for fear of disgusting SC & EA readers).

Lemme see if I understand how these outfits in Oz work. The projects are
published in Silicon Chip or Electronics Australia, and then DSE, or
Jaycar, or RCSRadio does these kits up and sells them, so that they're
all pretty much the same function, if kit'ed up by more than one
company? Is that right?

Sources for cheap/quick eXperimental apparatus are important finds.
Maybe you don't put that very thing in your system without mods, but
having some bitsNpieces you can throw together for trials is very nice.

Gar