CDI's in Oz

Stuart Baly S.Baly at bom.gov.au
Mon May 25 06:45:13 GMT 1998

On the 21st, Garfield wrote:

>BUT, here's a maybe equally important quote, from same patent, which I
>would have completely missed were it not for our current "sidebar":
>(col. 2, line 5)
> "In a capacitive ignition system, the measuring capacitor in the
>ignition circuit causes an EXTENSION [emphasis mine, Gar] of the spark
>duration, resulting in a more reliable and smooth combustion in the
>engine, particularly before it has attained it's normal working
>temperature."

This paragraph reminded me - I saw a CDI project in ETI (a now defunct Aus.
electronics magazine) which was billed as a 'Pulse Shaped' CDI. From memory, it
used various means to control the rate of turn-on of the SCR which did the
firing. This is probably not right - it was a long time ago.
Anyway, I checked out EA's website, found the project and a photocopy of it is
currently making it's way to my letterbox.

FYI, a complete list of EA and ETI projects are at:

http://www.electronicsaustralia.com.au/files/ea_proj.txt
http://www.electronicsaustralia.com.au/files/eti_proj.txt

If any HTML crap or winmail.dat is stuck to this, let me know off-list.

Cheers,

Stuart.