Chevy flywheels

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Tue May 26 05:08:47 GMT 1998

Dan Zorde wrote:

> Looking for advice on Chevy flywheels.  Currently running the small one with
> standard Chev pressure plate and Supra turbo clutch plate (Supra 5-speed box).
>  However, the clutch has severe traction problems in 3rd.  Now apart from the
> obvious, that I need a heavy duty pressure plate and a better clutch plate,
> there is a couple of questions:
>
> 1.  is there an advantage in going to the larger 11" Chev flywheel or is that
> just extra weight ?
Yes to the first part and yes to the second part.  Extra
weight can mean extra momentum when you dump the clutch, and
that can be helpful keeping the engine at optimum rpm during
launch. Changes in engine speed won't be as fast, though.
Not so good during heavy cornering.

> 2.  I can possibly buy an 11" steel flywheel + starter motor (new) but 2nd hand
> for around AU$250 (~US$155), is this a good deal ?
Couldn't say.  Around here, I usually get used flywheels for
$50 US.  Last one was resurfaced.  As far as starters go, my
favorite trick is to go through the cores at the local parts
store.  There's usually one that's fairly new but was
replaced because something other than the starter was bad.
My cost is anywhere from $15-30 US.

> 3.  How much can you lighten them (within limits) ?
 I'd look for a lighter unit to start with.  Aluminum
flywheels are available.
> Regards
>
> Dan     dzorde at soanar.com.au
Shannen