Chevy flywheels

kris b robinson hikenw at gte.net
Tue May 26 05:29:17 GMT 1998

 Dan Zorde wrote ::

> Looking for advice on Chevy flywheels.  Currently running the small one
with
> standard Chev pressure plate and Supra turbo clutch plate (Supra 5-speed
box).
>  However, the clutch has severe traction problems in 3rd.  Now apart from
the
> obvious, that I need a heavy duty pressure plate and a better clutch
plate,
> there is a couple of questions:

> 1.  is there an advantage in going to the larger 11" Chev flywheel or is
that
> just extra weight ?

Yes there is a deffinate advantage its called leverage , the center of the
flywheel is the fulcrum , the farther out the clutch contacts has the
greatest leverage
So you will have a lot less chance burning the clutch and frying your new
clutch , flywheel ,
and  pressure plate. the excess heat can cause cracks in your flywheel and
pressure
plate

> 2.  I can possibly buy an 11" steel flywheel + starter motor (new) but
2nd hand
> for around AU$250 (~US$155), is this a good deal ?

$155.00 ?? NO not around here , but how hard are they to find where your
at
how much life is left in it ? Has it been checked for cracks ??Was it
balanced
bye a pro shop for a particular motor ? Will it work for yours ?

> 3.  How much can you lighten them (within limits) ?
If your concerned about wieght then get an aluminum flywheel , its more $$
but it would be new and as light as you can get

 Kris Robinson
1988 TransAm 388cid rollercam ,lifters, rockers ,
full floating wrist pins , gear driven , 10.4:1comp.
TPI , stage 1 port job , 2.05 dia valves
future mods : newsprings drop 1.5 " , swaybars , tower braces
subframe conectors , baer brakes , wet nitros sys .
sram , new fully tunable computer , fuel cell