Crappy running TPI Engine...also, need stock runners

lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov
Tue May 26 15:51:39 GMT 1998

     Guys:

     First, the runners. I changed out the injectors in my 87 TPI motor
     this weekend since I thought they were trashed from bad gas...more on
     that below. However, I was trying to install the passenger side
     runners with the fuel rail bolted down (anybody guess what happened
     here?) I was hammering the tubes with a rubber mallet, and some
     neighborhood kid was over distracting me. I looked up and YIKES! nice
     dented tube!!! F**K!!! So, I am now in need of a stock set of runners.
     Does anybody have any that they would be willing to part with? Thanks!

     Next thing...I changed the injectors out since I thought the old ones
     were gummed up with bad gas I had in it (stored for around two years).
     The engine was running like shit, barely idled, exhaust was VERY rich,
     wouldn't hold fuel pressure when shut off, etc. Well, got them
     changed...and was looking forward to my smooth running engine coming
     back to life...NO LUCK! All that work for naught. So, here is what I
     have, any advice appreciated:

     Engine runs REAL rough, hardly idles, and pressing the throttle WOT
     yields an engine that takes about a MINUTE to rev up. Exhaust VERY
     rich (makes your eyes tear), and fuel pressure is fine (35-36 at idle
     with the vaccum hose hooked up...42 otherwise). As far as the
     injectors, I used a mechanics stethescope to listen to them...and all
     eight are clicking away nicely. This is the interesting part....when I
     pull the injector harnesses off, I have THREE cylinders that seem to
     be affected...#1, #2, #8. All five other ones made no difference if
     the injector was hooked up or not. Since this is a batch fire system
     (left/right banks), it isn't like I have a burned driver in the ECM.
     Intersting thing to note is that all three of these cylinders are in
     order in the firing order...so will that help?

     What I have narrowed this down to is the following: must be
     ignition...but where? I pulled the distributor cap off, and had to
     clean the white, crusty deposits off the contacts and rotor. The
     module LOOKED fine (didn't test it), and I never tested the pickup
     either (do these go bad?). Also, after I had the car back up on the
     lift (storage), I thought...gee, it would have been a good idea to
     pull some plug wires and check for spark on the dead cylinders...but
     never got around to it.

     Any Felp appreciated!!!!

     Thanks!!!

     Larry Kurek