CDI and programmable Ignition in Oz & EFI VW Motor

Darryn Watson db at vianet.net.au
Wed May 27 15:50:06 GMT 1998

On Wed, 27 May 1998 19:43:15 +1000, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have seen any posting from this list for 6 days know, so if anyone hasanswered these questions, sorry for the repeat.
>
>I went and had a look at the programmable ignition kit at Jaycar. it cost $65.00 AUD
>It has 2 programmable ramps. It's very basic. I have ordered the magazine article in which it first appeared. Maybe we can modify to have more programmable points.
>
>As to the CDI, I build one about 8years ago. Still working, and it works great. Originally, I wanted to put it on my Fiat 124 Sport, but the tacho wouldn't fire of it due to the short pulse length. I ended up putting it in my VW Kombi (Transporter). Ther was definately a difference in performance in the engine department (Although that could be due to the old ignition not set up properly in the first place). Currently it sits in the cupboard, as all my cars have high energy electronic ignition in them, and the CDI would probably make no difference at all.

I have recently built one of the Dick Smith Electronics CDI units
The one that was featured in Silicon Chip.

At the moment its not working!!!!

I tested it before I installed it in my VW Kombi, it was getting the
HV out of the inverter but once I put it in the car it didn't work :-(

I think my problem is the post where the 12 +ve inputs on the PCB has
cracked off the track.   I used some pretty heavy hookup wire on it
and had a bit of trouble fitting the PCB into the case.

I will take it out and redo the joins and let you know how it goes.

Darryn

BTW
I have been toying with an idea Any suggestions welcomed.

I would like to try and fit a Delco EFI system to my air cooled 2L VW
engine Is this a stupid thought or what??

I intend using the intake system from an old FI kombi (the manifolds,
plenum and injector bodies I can buy for $80 from a wrecker) I could
use a commodore or similar fuel pump

I will use the ECM from a Camira or one of the other 4cyl Family two
engines with port FI and a MAP sensor.

I can bodge up the Ignition I think, mix the holden distributor and
HEI  with the VW one ( I have access to a machine shop)

For temperature sensing I was thinking of either using an oil temp
sensor (would this work similar to a water temp sensor or would it
react too slow)
Or I could try and interface a VDO cylinder head temp sensor to the
temp sensing input.

VSS I'm still thinking about.
Possibly a hall effect sensor on one of the transmission output
flanges, How do I get the pulses/spedd correct?

Tuning of the Delco
I haven't worked this one out yet Has any one got a copy of Kalmaker
floating around??