ION-related IGN Comments & Coil Quest

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Thu May 28 02:59:21 GMT 1998

On Wed, 27 May 1998 20:25:43 -0400, "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>
wrote:

>All the General Motors Distributorless Coils are four terminal.

Hey, not bad, 6 replys in the span of a couple hours. Unfartunatly,
they're either "Egor says, cut his head off and then you can make any
kinda coil you want", or "Egor says, use an Abie Normal coil (wasteFire)
cuz that has 4 terminals".

OK, OK, right on BOTH counts, but guys, those are the EASY answers.
Although, I confess, I keep forgetting about the wasteFire coils, and to
the one bloak that thot I was "limiting" it to auto coils, I don't care
really, and yes a snowmobile or whatever wasteFire coil's all the same
to me for eXperimental purposes.

OK, so I can use some of them LUNKING huge twin-tower coils for
experimenting, fine, it's true I didn't thinkOthem, otherwise I woulda
said, "Anyone know of any SingleFire coils that have isolated primary
and secondary". No, I'm not tryna be pickyune, just hoping for something
that will turn up a tad more suitable. There's just gotta be an ordinary
singleFire coil that for some weirdo reason, had it's primary and
secondary separated at birth. Oh, pullleeeeze, let it be so. Whimper.
Them twin-tower coils are sooooo pudgy, not to mention expecting a
couple spade terminals to be shoved up their butts for a connection!
Sheesh, great as standalones. Imagine 8 of them lined up side by side to
get where I'm at. I'd rather go with the HV diodes instead. [Anyone
remember the Rocky & Bullwinkle episode where Snidely Whiplash has Nell
tied to the tracks and she says, "Not the whip, anything but the whip!".
He replies, "ANYTHING?". To which she says wisely, "The Whip, THE WHIP".
Heh]

Well, keep thinkin bout this. I agree them wasteFire coils will do for
the eXperimental phase, but we just gotsta find a suitable per-plug coil
for the real hoorahh.

Maybe we should also put out a Quest for any/all DI per-plug coils yous
guys know about. Mindya, I've already looked into the later ones that
have all the electronics inside, like the new ones for the
Vettes/Camaros and the Hitachi ones for the Troopers/Passports, but they
won't get it, cuz you can't get to either primary OR secondary, since
they're all self-contained and fired by a digital signal from the
ECM/PCM (nice lil gizmos, tho, in their own right!). Sooo, what I'd also
like to hear about is ANY DI coils you know about off ANYTHING (yes,
even if your hay-bailer has them, I wanna know B).

Keep em comin; just cuz the first round was only jeers and no cheers,
dudn't me we can't still hit the jackpot.

Gar