Air-core meter

Stuart Baly S.Baly at bom.gov.au
Thu May 28 03:08:03 GMT 1998

Jeff Webb wrote:

>I would like to drive several analog gauges from a microprocessor.  I
>would prefer to use the new style gauges, if possible.  The only source of
>information I have found so far is National Semiconductor's LM1819
>Air-core meter driver datasheet.  Are there any other similar drivers
>available?  Would it be hard to design a home-built driver?

Try the Philips SA5775, SA5777 and SA5778

Here's some stuff from the Philips site:
=====================
The SA5775A is a monolithic driver for controlling air-core (or differential)
meters typically used in automotive instrument cluster applications. The
circuit interfaces with a microprocessor through a serial bus and directly
drives the air-core meter. The SA5775A has 10-bit resolution (0.35 degree) and
is guaranteed to be monotonic. Data can be shifted through the part, allowing
several SA5775As to be cascaded with only one chip-select line. On-chip current
shut down logic protects the circuit from external faults.

The 5777 and 5778 are dual and triple meter drivers.

Cheers,

Stuart.