ION and EGOR

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Thu May 28 03:25:49 GMT 1998

On Thu, 21 May 1998 08:54:56 -0700 garfield at pilgrimhouse.com writes:

>Gotcha covered again. Good point on the multiple sensor business. BTW,
>do any production cars ever come this way with duals on exh and sensor?
>Just wonderin if there are stock ECMs available to scan two sensors.
>Heh, not sure what they'd do, control mix on each bank separate (:o) or
>what, but it's an interesting question.

There is a Ford sequential multipoint controller that uses a sensor in
each exhaust bank.  It is supposed to be able to trim each of the eight
cylinders by sniffing the puffs of exhaust as they go past the sensor.
Michael Baxter, myself, and several others are discussing this box.  How
do they get a slow sensor to do this?  Anyhow, Mike has worked up most of
the details on how to use this box on other V8 engines with different
firing orders.

>>Do you need multiple ION's if you are running coil per plug like Buick
>>V-6s or has someone figured out how to electrically switch these units
>>between plugs.
>
>Because they are smallish, I'd think we'd start with a 4-cyl ION, you
>use a pair of them for 6's & 8's. Not THAT much waste on the 6's,
>really. They'll be pretty small and cheap, anywho. No way it's gonna be
>economical/feasible to do one for each jug count (4,6,8), and we can't
>do them one per cylinder, that would be nutso, and doing an 8-cyl only
>and maybe partially populating the cards would probably leave the
>"module" bigger than we'd like, but this last option of just doing an
>8-cyl board is I guess the runnerup possibility at this point in the
>thinking. BUT, we really need to go down the road a pace with ION before
>we start tryna decide these nitsNnats, methinks.

If you are using six or eight ION units, what circuitry would be common
to them all?  Just the power supply, I would think.  Perhaps the board
could be designed so that you just hack off as many units as you need.
If you need six, you could get a strip of six, or a block of two by
three.  If every block or every second or fourth block (or whatever) has
space for a three-legged regulater (7805 or whatever), just pop a
regulater and a couple of capaciters into one of the sets of holes and
you're all set.  You could even save space by designing the board so that
you solder the regulater into one block and the capaciters into other
blocks.

This would be versitile enough to make everyone happy, even those who are
dealing with three, five, ten, and twelve cylinder engines.

Ray Drouillard