Dyno-Less tuning?

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Thu May 28 03:26:00 GMT 1998

On Thu, 21 May 1998 22:36:31 -0400 "Thor Johnson" <thormj at earthlink.net>
writes:
>> >Brief recap... this is a 68hc11 EFI (fuel only) for a Honda
>> >CBR600 motor.  All homemade stuff.
>> >Calculates base PW based on MAP, all other sensors totally
>> >ignored (incl RPM)... batch fired at #1 intake stroke.  How
>> >important is RPM (considering I'm injecting 1/rev anyway)?
>>
>> It wouldn't be important at all if your volumetric efficiency remained
>> constant at all speeds.  Of course, we know that this isn't the case.
>> The amount of fuel injected needs to be reduced in the areas that have
>> low volumetric effieiency.  Generally, this means the low speeds where
>> the cam overlap reduces volumetric effieiency, and the high speeds
where
>> there simply isn't enough time to gulp a cylinder full of air.
>
>  How much does VE generally change on a high-performance engine like
this?
>  (1000-13500 RPM, 100HP rated)

Do you have the torque curve for your engine?  The volumetric efficiency
follows that (approximately).

>> I bought a cheap used laptop to do my tuning.  It's an old 486 DX2 50
>> (50/25).  With the Holley, I could actually go as primative as a 286.
>> How primative can you go?  Maybe you can find someone with an old 386
>> laptop that is gathering dust.
>
>Gotta look.  My cheap laptop service agent wants $150 for the NiMH
>batteries.
>
>> Do you have an automatic?  The torque converter makes a dandy static
>> load.
>
>Its a stick (stock xmission), but I'm intrigued.  Can you use the torque
>converter outside of an auto-trans?

I never thought of trying.  It would probablly be some work to fabricate
it.

I used it up to the stall speed, and I didn't do it for very long.  I
didn't want to heat it up.

>> I don't know what you are using as an ECU.  In the holley, there is a
>> table that is used to specify extra enrichment when the throttle is
>> suddenly opened.
>
>How is the table organized?  Is it just a number or ?

It is a three dimensional graph.  The independant variables are throttle
angle and RPM.  The dependant (Z) axis is the amount of compensation
(increased injecter volume)