ION-related IGN Comments & Coil Quest

T Hergen thergen at svn.net
Thu May 28 05:03:58 GMT 1998

On Wed, 27 May 1998 garfield at pilgrimhouse.com wrote:

> >All the General Motors Distributorless Coils are four terminal.
>
> Hey, not bad, 6 replys in the span of a couple hours. Unfartunatly,
> they're either "Egor says, cut his head off and then you can make any
> kinda coil you want", or "Egor says, use an Abie Normal coil (wasteFire)
> cuz that has 4 terminals".

The GM waste fire coils may be the ideal candidate.  Potentially it could
still fire two plugs.  Depending on how the 80v/400v source is generated,
it might be simple and inexpensive to generate an additional bias voltage
of the opposite polarity which would allow this arrangement to work.  But,
what about the rest of the circuit?

Alot of maybes here.  You've expressed some displeasure with the
naysayers, but perhaps if we had more info there would be more
constructive feedback.  Post more details.

There's a good reason the high voltage post on the coil is so well
protected and insulated.  In the quest for a four terminal coil, what do
you expect the fourth terminal to look like given it's on the other side
of the high voltage winding?  It might have to be just as well insulated
as the post going to the distributor/plugs -- it might look just like a GM
waste fire coil.

Tom