ION-related IGN Comments & Coil Quest

gt bradley gt6 at beachscene.com
Thu May 28 06:59:44 GMT 1998

ECMnut at aol.com wrote:

> <<
>  > It is common to have a snowmobile coil hooked up so that one side of the HV
>  > winding goes to one of the plugs (most snowmachines are 2 cylinder) with
> the
>  > other side going to the other plug. Both plugs fire each time, only one is
>  > firing on a dead cylinder. That puts both ends of the HV coil out and
>  > isolated. >>
> If that is a two stroke engine in your snowmobile, it has a power stroke
> in each revolution...  Much different than the 4 cycle engine.
>
> Mike V

 But....   if they are 360 degrees out of phase, then you still have a viable
system.  ( I had a Honda 4-cycle motor cycle which was set up like this, I think
my Kawasaki is also, but I'm not sure...)
The wasted spark occurs near TDC between the exhaust and intake strokes on the
dead cylinder.

fyi
GT